Last week’s update

New units! Last week we introduced some significant changes. We moved Weewar over to a much faster hardware set up. It allows us to have many more users play simultaneously – and we know that many people have been waiting for invites for a long time (several thousand in fact). We are looking forward to get you playing asap.

We have also introduced a whole slew of new units. They will require some tweaks still but they are working rather well already. Thanks to all of you, who took part in the testing rounds providing valuable feedback and input!

Pic4sch4f volunteered to create graphics for many of these new units (or parts of some) and we think he did a great job. Thank you very much for this wonderful contribution!

The new units are available for pro players from the start. They are:

Submarines, Destroyers, Battleships, Speedboats, Hovercraft, Jets, Bombers, Helicopters and an Anti Air Cannon. They can be built in the brand new Harbor and Airfield tiles that will appear in many maps shortly.

For the time being the Hovercraft is special as it can capture buildings (like Troopers can). We wanted to enable some new maps featuring Islands and for that we needed a capturing unit that can cross water.

Another significant change to the game’s mechanics is the addition of “Zone of Control” (ZoC). Find out more about ZOC on the wiki.

We have also integrated some much requested features on the site:

Your headquarters now show you the number of games that require your attention across the entire site (e.g. if it is your turn or if you have been invited to a new game).

We have integrated the chat into the “ready to play list” in the Community section.

If you want to invite new players to a game, email invites will now be sent straight after you create the game (rather then after you have started playing the first round.)

If you are using Internet Explorer things should work and look a lot better for you now.

The browser window title now reflects how many games are waiting for you and if it is your turn – which is great if you want to monitor Weewar from your task bar – at work for example ;)

As usual you can discuss this update and everything else over at our Group at Tangler or give us your feedback directly. We appreciate your input and will make sure to be quick to deliver further improvements!

Let’s play!

1. jernigani
    Posted July 26, 2007 at 20:08 | Permalink

So when are we going to get the new units opened to all users? Some of us don’t have un-tenth friends who play online games and can spend the time it takes to play some of these games. hmmm hmmm? I hope at least some are given to complement the maps that are available to play. :D

Oh, and I had just noticed that there are twice as many pro units as there are normal units. I think it should be the other way around.

2. jmd
    Posted July 26, 2007 at 23:26 | Permalink

I would love to have a PRO account.

I would love to recruit people to weewar to earn my PRO account.

I cannot invite new people by email because “The maximum number of accounts is reached.”

Thus, I cannot possibly earn my PRO account.

I would love to have a PRO account.

3. Posted July 27, 2007 at 01:18 | Permalink

Ditto to what jmd said … I’d love to recruit more players but it appears that I already have too many games that I invited people to … so I must play them first.

4. Posted July 27, 2007 at 01:46 | Permalink

Actually it’s even worse than that.  I only have 3 current games, so I have an invite, but I can only invite existing players.

So at the moment it is _impossible_ for me to earn a PRO account.

PS I would love to have a PRO account.

Posted July 27, 2007 at 06:48 | Permalink

Sorry for that – we have a user number limit in place to make sure we grow no more than what our infra structure can support. That limit was accidentally set way low. It’s fixed now!

6. Posted July 27, 2007 at 11:59 | Permalink

What I’m annoyed with most is the loss of information that has occured, we can no longer see how much each terrain affects certain types of units, and how strong each unit is relative to the others. I thrive on information, and you’re actually taking it away.

Between that and not being able to actually get a pro account of my own, I’m losing interest fast.

7. Doug Moore
    Posted July 27, 2007 at 13:34 | Permalink

Isn’t the information still there…you scroll over it is just in a different format… Or am I missing something…maybe guys should give folks an option to pay if they want a pro account (something like $5 a month) but folks can also get a pro account if they recruit 10 folks per month… I think that will help some folks that don’t know alot of people to recruit..

8. Bert
    Posted July 27, 2007 at 14:11 | Permalink

We are working on payable pro accounts. For obvious reasons this feature is unlikely to be delayed by too long.

9. Popcorn
    Posted July 27, 2007 at 14:37 | Permalink

Have you plans for bank transfer / pay pal or will it be credit card only?

10. Posted July 27, 2007 at 17:29 | Permalink

No, the information isn’t still there, it merely says who is strong against who and who is weak against who. (and even then the information is only accessable at certain times).

the shield and dots information is gone. I want it back.

11. clowntrigger
    Posted July 28, 2007 at 00:09 | Permalink

They tried to make the inspector more generic with the inclusion of air and naval units. It would require additional space to show those stats, so they compressed them into a new-user friendly format. Hit the Tangler group mentioned in the post and you can get the skinny on that topic and many more.

If you have open invites and want to get your game on, just look at the community page and see who’s online and playing. Watching the live ticker gives you a great idea of who’s active. Most people won’t turn another game down. :-)

12. Ace
    Posted July 29, 2007 at 17:50 | Permalink

I agree totally with McKay. When I first played, I used the info on the left side constantly and jumped right in. I’ve invited someone who does not have that option, and she is timid to begin to play. I want that info back, too. While the map is enlarged, is is unavailable, yet that is when you most need it as you are then actively participating in the game.

13. DaveHCYJ
    Posted July 30, 2007 at 16:33 | Permalink

I see you have removed the blog item about the update this afternoon.

It would be nice if these updates were more transparent.

I know you guys are still in beta, but either…

A) Rule changes should not affect games in progress.

-or-

B) Rule changes should be publicized before hand, or at the very least they should be released by the time you implement them.

Posted July 30, 2007 at 18:26 | Permalink

This afternoon’s update had to do with server configuration aimed to resolve the recent down times issue. It had no impact on game play or rules. However we take the point and are working towards improving our processes in that regard.

15. Jim
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 22:15 | Permalink

What is the limit on invites then?  And if I reach 20, does that give me another month of a Pro account?

16. H
    Posted August 2, 2007 at 05:43 | Permalink

Whilst I love the work going into WeeWar, I cannot help but think it’s moved on too far from the really nice, simple click and play easily manageable fun game it was, to a far far more advanced and tactical game. Don’t get me wrong, I love the tactical game, but it’s not what I originally wanted from WeeWar.

17. aleister0209
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 17:28 | Permalink

10 people per month seems nearly impossible to keep up for a long time i think that 10 pepole period should get u like maybe a years membership and people with multiple emails could minupulate this easily from what ive seen….

18. aleistr0209
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 17:34 | Permalink

but ive seen very little and im preety much saying what jernigani said he has a good point

19. james
    Posted August 14, 2007 at 11:11 | Permalink

f you are using Internet Explorer things should work and look a lot better for you now Shame on you ;-)

20. DarthEragon
    Posted September 5, 2007 at 21:59 | Permalink

I also think that to get 10 people to join is a bit too high, maybe 7 would be better? Also, I don’t like the ZoC.  I think it should only apply to capturing a base.  The ZoC makes it hard to get behind enemy lines to take out artillery, which makes a huge difference in gameplay.