The Artillery strikes back

To prevent games from stalling with two frontlines consisting mostly of artillery, we are testing a new rule on the live system: Artillery strikes back! Every time an artillery is attacked from a distance that is within its shooting range, it will return fire. We’re curious to see how the gameplay feels with this new twist.

1. Posted July 31, 2007 at 11:34 | Permalink

This is very interesting. I notice earlier that when I used my art(3) against and art(10).  My art got destroyed, but I still did 1 damage. woohoo. I think this will definitely will speed up the game between artillery wars but, the jury is still out until further testing.

2. tom sieron
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 11:38 | Permalink

If you add new features please notify about it earlier, ppl get pretty nervous when stuff like that happens without a warning (i had same thing happen to me when ZoC were introduced but not described anywhere). Weewar’s supposed to be fun and i don’t especially like it when ppl start cursing and yelling in the chat box :-/.

3. Posted July 31, 2007 at 13:58 | Permalink

I have to say, I like this new feature. It balances out the “first turn” problem, and will give the Light Artillery unit a sense of greater purpose now.

4. arya
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 14:23 | Permalink

i think new rules should take effect in new games…

5. Readmore
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 14:24 | Permalink

I recently noticed this change and while it’s interesting I do not like it, you have totally changed the use of artillery. I think that if you keep this change in place you should reduce the amount of damage the attacker takes. I attacked one heavy artillery(10) to another(10) and my unit lost 8 while the defender lost 9, those losses are too high for the attacker. You should make the attacker only take the amount of damage that the remaining defender would be able to cause. In my example it would be the damage of a heavy artillery of 1 attacking a heavy artillery of 10. Hopefully you can make these changes soon.

6. Posted July 31, 2007 at 15:11 | Permalink

Well, there goes my strategy in a game that I was in the middle of.  Super-duper.

7. Posted July 31, 2007 at 16:02 | Permalink

”… testing a new rule on the live system”

Yikes.

Don’t you guys have a dev or test game server set-up so you don’t have to test on the live server?

8. Posted July 31, 2007 at 16:04 | Permalink

I kind of resent the sarcastic tone of my previous comment.  After all, Wee War is still in a free beta phase.  I appreciate the developers’ work.  Thanks, guys!  No offense, I hope.

9. apcymru
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 16:08 | Permalink

I am not sure I liked it.  It completely surpised me.  I am also not sure it will achieve what you want it to.  The strategy will just amend slightly so you bank the artillery in groups for defence … i think you will still end up in static lines.

10. clowntrigger
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 17:21 | Permalink

Test first please before monkeying with live games. We’re still working on changes from the last patch.

11. Vestice
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 17:26 | Permalink

Ack!  Why are you testing these things on the live server?  That just screwed up every single game that’s running right now, I bet. >.<

I agree, we’re still trying to figure out how to play with the new ZOC rules…

12. Posted July 31, 2007 at 17:49 | Permalink

I’m not sure why everyone is so upset about the changes.  The game is in beta so changes should be expected.  Sure, it would be nice if new changes start in new games, but I don’t see the big deal here.  I’m still getting use to the ZoC (which I think I”m going to like), but I’ll have to see how the artillery change works out.

13. Posted July 31, 2007 at 18:47 | Permalink

This game has potential! I like it because it’s based on hexagons, it’s turn based, and you can essentially play it over email.  I just hope work doesn’t block the site, otherwise you’ll be getting a request to pipe it through some nifty proxy server or something.  Keep it up!

14. RedChaos
    Posted July 31, 2007 at 20:04 | Permalink

I enjoy this new concept.  It balances artillery a lot more in my opinion and moves the artillery heavy game along much faster now.  It adds a new sense of overall strategy to the game as well as force you to reconsider your tactics.  As it was, artillery were king and able to kills hundreds of units without ever taking damage.  Now they are damage as well and helps balance a number of issues.

15. Steve
    Posted August 1, 2007 at 07:53 | Permalink

This is great..but it should not be applied to the existing games.

16. DaveHCYJ
    Posted August 1, 2007 at 11:56 | Permalink

I like the new rule.  It improves game play for sure.

Major complaint:

Please stop changing rules for games that are already in progress.

At the very least you should post new rules Before they go into effect.

17. Bert
    Posted August 1, 2007 at 12:11 | Permalink

Different versions of rules would increase the maintainance overhead. But we will post about rule changes earlier from now on.

18. Posted August 1, 2007 at 12:13 | Permalink

That would be cool.  Ya’ll rock!  Wee War rocks!

19. Posted August 1, 2007 at 18:22 | Permalink

Everyone sure bitches a lot here.  It took me losing a single artillery to figure this out and adjust my battle plans.  I think this is a great idea and can really mix up those heavy artillery battles that tend to happen on resource heavy maps.

20. Vestice
    Posted August 1, 2007 at 19:24 | Permalink

It’s a tough call, because Wee Wars is in beta, and the server overhead seems to be a problem.  But games are significant investments of time, at least the multiplayer games I’m a fan of!  So it’s sort of disheartening to have the rules change in the middle of your 3-week, 40-turn game.  A little more advance notice seems like the best thing to do. :)

I think I like this new change.  It should make it a lot more justifiable to move artillery forward.  On the other hand, it seems to exacerbate any potential money imbalance, so the people with the map generators should get cracking with some more balanced maps! :)

21. X
    Posted August 2, 2007 at 10:08 | Permalink

what about a generaš atack bonus?

I mean if 10 rockets hit my artillery I cannot sent 10 rockests back, coz 6 of my launchers are wasted.

22. barry_fm
    Posted August 3, 2007 at 18:21 | Permalink

Suggestion to a meet the users halfway: Place a notice in the headquarters, and in the game screen about changes to game mechanics. Could say something small like “Newest feature: Zone Of Control” + link to blog or other info about the change.

With transparent download/updating in the browser, there needs to be some form of active notice of changes to the players. It can become a chore to dig the forums or blog looking for information about this. And even with that, not all the changes have been messaged very well to the general beta players.

23. TheTorrent
    Posted August 5, 2007 at 00:26 | Permalink

This new feature is great and it allows me to use a base even when it is under control by artillery, I just build an artillery and the other one is wasted as well as mine :D

Although I do agree with the only start new rules in new games, I don’t really think it should matter that much because, as someone pointed out, WeeWar is in beta still.

24. Posted August 5, 2007 at 21:33 | Permalink

I think this is a great addition, however believe strongly that new rules should only affect new games.  It is unfair to change the rules midway through an established game.

Another one I’d like to see is base squatters, where an opponent parks a tank on a base effectively negating your ability to make any units in that location.  Raiders move quickly and it’s easy to halve an opponents base production, perhaps a per-round damage for opponent campers would be sufficient.

Great work guys!  Keep it up.

25. jeye
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 09:40 | Permalink

I really think it is a good idea. It really helps if static warfare comes up when no one dares to move the artillery because the enemy will shoot first and kill it.

If there would have been this feature earlier, I wouldn’t need to have drawn one game.

26. gruff
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 19:05 | Permalink

“If this feature had existed earlier, I wouldn’t have needed to draw one of my games.”

27. Jeff
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 21:05 | Permalink

I like the idea of the artillery return fire.  I am just wondering if it could be implemented in a different way to give the attacking artillery the advantage that it deserves.

Would it be possible to run two attacks?  One initiated by the attacking artillery, then a second initiated by the defending artillery but only with the strength they have left after the initial attack?

I have had multiple instances now where I attacked an artillery piece and took more damage than the defending piece.  That doesn’t make any sense, and hardly seems fair to the attacker.

I like the idea, I think something should definitely be changed, but it just seems like this new feature still requires some tweaking.

Thanks for making such a great game and for being so responsive to feedback!

28. Posted August 12, 2007 at 02:36 | Permalink

I agree completely. Defending artillery shouldn’t be doing more damage than the attacking unit.

29. ebradley
    Posted August 26, 2007 at 17:32 | Permalink

I also agree with Readmore, Jeff, and GrayFox777.  The attacked artillery should only be allowed to fire back with his new damaged strength.

30. hugobrain
    Posted September 4, 2007 at 15:48 | Permalink

Awesome! We went from WW1 to WW2 in one update! =)

31. Devastator
    Posted September 7, 2007 at 10:10 | Permalink

I agree with what is requested. The advantage of attacking, also in RL is that the defender has to take a certain amount of time to react. Thus, the defender should not be able to hit before it gets hit itself, since this is a turn-based game. Else the results will depend on chance (mostly returns with artillery towers left, but sometimes it will be in time to shoot back before it gets hit) and that’s the last you want in a strategy game.

32. Posted September 9, 2007 at 17:00 | Permalink

I agree with Readmore, Jeff, GrayFox777, ebradley and Devastator. The defending artillery should be able to fire back with the remaining strength only.

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks