Balancing patch

As previously announced we are rolling out some tweaks and changes to the unit properties. A bit more punch here, less range there, stuff like that. Due to the nature of Weewar these changes will become active for all games at once – including those already underway. We’d like to introduce them more gently but that is unfortunately not possible as all games rely on the same specifications.

This kind of change is very rare – the last one has been over a year ago. While we try to keep them to a minimum they are necessary to keep Weewar fun and balanced as we move along and learn more from your playing.

1. SaintArved
    Posted May 23, 2008 at 15:12 | Permalink

…dang, I wish ya’ll would this on a Saturday or Sunday. This kills me every Friday.

2. Posted May 23, 2008 at 15:18 | Permalink

Such is life, at least it is not as bad as other games, like Second Life….

lol

3. Posted May 23, 2008 at 16:50 | Permalink

Thanks for the great game, guys! The only bummer here is the ‘affects games in progress’, but even that’s completely understandable.

4. vectorhive
    Posted May 23, 2008 at 18:17 | Permalink

I am happy to see weewar progress and develop. Have a great weekend! Lets play!

5. RedLenin
    Posted May 24, 2008 at 01:23 | Permalink

I’m not experienced enough to know whether the balancing tweaks were worth doing but I notice that all game replays (last move and entire game) have now been removed. I know that these haven’t been working properly but simply to remove them with no prior announcement is not acceptable. Does this mean that they have been permanently abandoned or have they only been removed until the code to get them to work has been rewritten?

6. OneChipBob
    Posted May 24, 2008 at 22:26 | Permalink

Not that I have a problem with reading the changes over at tangler but there needs to be a complete list somewhere. What is listed there are the changes from the previous versions on the test server which I did not have the time to play. I do see that the specifications page is up to date so I will just have to re-read each unit again.

I did find a bug, the destroyer can not attack or defend against a sub at a range of 1, it is able to use its new range of 2 against it though.

7. Simon
    Posted May 25, 2008 at 10:48 | Permalink

OneChipBob, follow the ‘stuff like that’ link

8. OneChipBob
    Posted May 25, 2008 at 16:22 | Permalink

My bad, that link has everything I was looking for, I just scrolled through the tangler thread again and did not see a complete roll up…

9. nocks
    Posted May 26, 2008 at 12:42 | Permalink

Well. I see that the changes were made.

Only problem I have (just like I’ve already told you via Tangler + the contact form) is that I cannot set up an own game anymore. Impossible, an error occurs everytime I try to do so by clicking on “set up a new game”.

I still can join games made by others.

Besides: I cannot check a map in detail, whenever I click on those map-thumbnails to enlarge it i get an error.

I’m desperate.

10. musicselector
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 15:19 | Permalink

Problem…

You’ve fixed the “altitude” bit on the sea but created a serious problem in the air.

I have no problem with the fact that hovercrafts can’t attack jets, for instance, but I do have a problem with the hovercraft can’t move under the jet. If a 1-strength jet blocks a passage with trees on either side, there is no way for the hovercraft to get “under” the jet. So, we’re back to the sub/speedboat dilemma, just in the air.

IMHO, this is a big problem…