Help us test the latest

Ever wondered what it would look like if your DFA rains death on some poor enemy units? Check out the new battle animations on the test server and see for yourself!

We have created a flash version of Weewar and have reached a stage where we would very much like you to test the first playable version. To participate in this test simply sign up for a free pro(!) account on test.weewar.com (note the test in the url). Your test account is completely independent from the live system at Weewar.com so your regular account won’t be affected in any way. We will keep the test system open through January 12th, 2010, so finish off your opponents before then as any remaining games will be lost.

Please focus your testing on the new in-game interface. Start games, move units, attack (basically do what you usually do :) and let us know how the changed behavior works for you. Most of the in game dialogs and menus have been updated, especially the build dialog! We are really curious to find out how helpful it is when purchasing units and how to make it even better.

There are also a few known issues we are working on:

• Capturing units are not represented in the battle animations
  • The flash client occasionally falls out of sync with the server which requires a re-load (it will tell you with a dialogue).

Especially for the latter is is important to narrow down when exactly that is occurring. Other than that, please watch out for bugs and any erratic or unexpected behavior.

We will incorporate your feedback and roll our some further refinements early next year – so please sign up, play and make sure to share your findings and impressions via our contact page.

Happy Holidays!

ps> You can finally repair your aircraft on all airfields your team controls and not just your own. This works both on test and on the live system.

1. luckymustard
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 05:05 | Permalink

can’t access this – “To participate in this test simply sign up for a free pro(!) account on test.weewar.com (note the test in the url).”

2. spadequack
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 10:41 | Permalink

awesome! just in time for the holidays when all my other life things finally get to settle down. bug hunting time! =D

3. tralafiti
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 13:15 | Permalink

well – the animations don’t bring aditional value to the game. it seems that they are always the same and it’s just annoying to click them away every time. i’m not quite happy with it yet. at leaste you should provide an option to auto-continue on the battle animation

the big plus of the flash version could be, that it runs smoother than the normal html+javascript based version – at least for now, maybe this changes whene there is more load on the test-server? but it should be much easy for a flash-version to do some nice optimization like querying up all you moves on the client and just send them to the server when you click finish round – no latency anymore *yeeaahh*

but your buying this with the loose of some awesome greasemonkey scripts :-/

the new build-menu is fine, since you don’t need to scroll anymore

4. JumpmanMJP
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 21:47 | Permalink

Fun! So far the only thing I *don’t* like about it is when attacking. I’m used to landing on a space, then double-clicking on my opponent to attack him. With the new animation, I’m forced to click once, then move to and click the “attack now” button, which is a little annoying. Can a double-click attack option be built in, too?

5. Bert
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 21:58 | Permalink

We will further improve the ways battles are carried out in order to allow more advanced players to retain a quicker play style. I don’t know yet how this will be done but I can promise that we keep a close eye on the number of clicks.

6. Atomhamster
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 01:12 | Permalink

Flash? Wow. But why? JS could do so much more, too!

Feedback from one round: I get the impression my clicks are not always registered. The interface is scattered (repair below, end turn on top). This is annoying.

7. Atomhamster
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 01:15 | Permalink

Oh and I forgot: the constant site re-loading is also irritating.

• Posted December 21, 2009 at 19:09 | Permalink

We are going to reduce the site reloads asap – right now this is required by some legacy code which we are in the process of removing.

8. sedwards
    Posted December 21, 2009 at 01:15 | Permalink

I agree with the new animations getting old. Any chance for an option to turn them off completely? Also, I’m getting the following error periodically:
    A Problem Occurred
    Your client is out of sync with the server.
    Please reload the page.

This only occurs during the battle animations.

• sedwards
      Posted December 21, 2009 at 01:20 | Permalink

Interesting update on the last post. The error seems to occur every time I attack a tank with a berzerker. Not sure if any other combinations have the same problem.

9. Techbrute
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 15:27 | Permalink

For my money, I’d rather see you fix the problems you already have than making new ones with fancy flash animations. I’ve been playing weewar on and off for over a year and a half now. Every time, I get discouraged by the server lag, slowdowns, and downtime and leave. I come back a few months later thinking it might be better, but it’s always more of the same. Please just fix the problems before you move on to a new level of complexity. I’ve upgraded my account to Pro three seperate times, but i always just let it expire because I get too frustrated to play for extended periods.

• Andy
      Posted December 24, 2009 at 00:06 | Permalink

Why do you assume the two efforts are separate?

• Techbrute
        Posted December 25, 2009 at 19:23 | Permalink

I’d like to think that if someone put their mind to trying to fix the server issues, they’d actually accomplish it.

10. Casaubon
    Posted December 24, 2009 at 11:44 | Permalink

I learned that every time there is changes in weewar, so many people who write comments tend to be agaĆ­nst it, like with the new naval units some time ago. I don`t really understand that, cause the whole effort is work in progress and the newest changes look really good. The information a new players needs to get is displayed from within the playing field (terrain bonus, attack strength,…) now – that was solved very well in my opinion but I also would like the animated attack window to be optional. The new design elements look very appealing to me, they increase a 3D feel and an actual “game feel”. Like someone stated above I also would love to see the “double click attack” implemented. I play WW for 2 years almost every day and the “problems” techbrute is writing about are exaggerated. The only bug I frequently have to deal with occurs, when I add the last player to a multiplayer game and hit the “add player” button before the server registers that the player limit is reached and adds e.g a 7th player on a 6 player game map. Then the game crashes and the hq gets corrupted and all invited players need to delete this particular game to make their HQ accessible again. Besides that all is well and gets even better, if there will be an ~optional~ flash version of the game :)

• Techbrute
      Posted December 25, 2009 at 19:27 | Permalink

Whatever, dude, I can’t get on the site RIGHT NOW, so I don’t know how that’s exaggerating. So you don’t click on a unit and it takes close to a minute to respond sometimes? If it would help, I’d be happy to submit a detailed log of every time the server acts like it’s hosted on someone’s laptop, but to be honest, I haven’t ever even gotten a response when I’ve submitted anything via the comments page (which is also down right now…)

• ThulsaDoom
        Posted December 25, 2009 at 22:06 | Permalink

Techbrute is right about the current problem with not being able to connect. Dec 25 as of this afternoon i’m not able to get on weewar’s main site.

*yawn*

• flab jack
        Posted December 26, 2009 at 01:45 | Permalink

why don’t you check test.weewar.com in the meantime?

11. Mo
    Posted December 26, 2009 at 00:43 | Permalink

I’m with Techbrute here. Please… fix your infrastructure first before adding more shiny. Get a bigger server, or better yet, get several servers. It’s neither hard to set up nor is it expensive. It’s ridiculous how often weewar.com takes several minutes to respond to a click on a unit, which is one simple HTTP request, or is simply down like right now. A responsive (und thus fun) weewar.com is so utterly rare that fixing this should be your number one priority above *anything* else. Seriously, fix this first thing please.

• ThulsaDoom
      Posted December 26, 2009 at 04:46 | Permalink

Test site checked and failed. For some reason (and i’ve already sent a problem message to the dev’s) I can’t SEE any actual game in Flash on the test server. Chater box, yes; actual game, no. (FTL) Made sure I was running the current Flash version and everything. I can only assume that nothing much will be fixed til after the holidays. I’d love to put some good input into this, but for now i’ll just throw my hands in the air.

• spadequack
        Posted December 26, 2009 at 05:39 | Permalink

@ThulsaDoom – are you using IE? For whatever reason, the Flash part of the test server doesn’t seem to work in IE. You have to use Firefox/Chrome/Opera.

• ThulsaDoom
        Posted December 26, 2009 at 19:39 | Permalink

Excellent! That would explain it. Thanks Spade

12. Bert
    Posted December 26, 2009 at 08:14 | Permalink

Thanks for your responses. Believe me: We are very aware of your concerns and work hard to come up with a solution.

The good news is that the new interface takes us a good step towards a better response time. It does a lot of things that were previously done on the server side. Therefore the tasks that the server needs to deal with become fewer and they become less complex. So our new flash interface is both very ‘shiny’ and an answer to the most pressing issues.

We have already received a lot of valuable comments and remarks that will help us keep the development on the right track. After all this is what a test site is about. Getting early feedback about what needs improvement the most. We will continue with full steam early next year (once we can move again after all the good food over Christmas) and hope to see some epic battles on the test site by then.

13. Mo
    Posted December 27, 2009 at 10:24 | Permalink

Okay, I can see how a redesign of the interface can lessen the burden on the server – but why does it have to be in Flash? A huge part of the attractiveness of weewar has been the possibility of customising the interface with Greasemonkey scripts and the like. Moving from Javascript to the very similar but compiled Actionscript completely bars users from employing those scripts. While there may be a performance advantage in a compiled client part, that advantage isn’t serverside but clientside, and thus doesn’t make much sense in this context – the clientside was never the problem.

I’d be interested to hear what your reasoning was for the move to Flash.

• casaub0n
      Posted December 27, 2009 at 14:05 | Permalink

I think one of the (maybe not so important) reasons might have been the complaints about the downsized map screen. in flash you can easily navigate the map when holding down the mouse wheel.

14. sedwards
    Posted December 30, 2009 at 05:37 | Permalink

One comment on the new scroll bars. It took me several minutes to figure out that I needed to use the grey bars for scrolling. Since this is a change in the way you scroll, it may be worth a heads up via some mechanism. It isn’t a big deal, but could save a lot of people a little time. Generally speaking though, I like the improvements. I’d vote for considering some of the ones listed on Casaubon’s web site for the next round though.

15. Posted December 30, 2009 at 23:03 | Permalink

Mostly (once i figured out how to scroll) the flash site is great. It has been much more reliable on average than the current HTML/JS interface.

I, too, will be disappointed about the loss of Grease Monkey scripts. Things like team chat, autohealing and base/unite counts are invaluable and should (according to me) be a part of the basic interface.

The only things I don’t like so far about the flash interface are the animations and the fact that ending a turn means ending a turn. I kind of liked the delay built into the old interface. There was many a time I noticed an unhealed unit.

16. Posted January 7, 2010 at 18:11 | Permalink

Flash Bug: infantry heals only 1 per turn on repair shops. Game 205642 on test server.

• Mark
      Posted January 11, 2010 at 22:55 | Permalink

First, a quick bug report: the “page must be reloaded” error happens for me during the attack animation if I double-click when I’m supposed to single-click.

Now my critique… I’ve seen no advantage to the Flash interface so far other than speed (which could be attributed to having fewer users on the test server). I am intrigued by the idea of moving some processing off the servers and onto the local client, though… hopefully it will have a beneficial effect even with an honest server load (which I assume we haven’t seen yet).

As a longtime player, I really don’t want to see the animations, ever. They slow me down, they interrupt my thought process, they take too many clicks.

Hovering the mouse over any unit now brings up a full infographic about the unit. This gets in the way of what I’m trying to look at. The playing field is now a minefield; I can’t simply rest the mouse wherever it happens to be, I have to move it off the playing field or risk my view getting obstructed by these pop-ups. I’ve never liked the little coordinate popups on mouseover for this reason, but at least they’re tiny (and they’re broken in Chrome).

Also, Flash inhibits a subtle but very important feature of modern browsers: CTRL-TAB. When in the Flash window, the only way to switch to another tab is to first click outside the Flash window, then CTRL-TAB. Another minor irritant on its own, but it all adds up.

I also must agree with the post regarding Flash’s closed nature. First, I can’t play on my Droid smartphone (not a huge deal, as it’s a little difficult anyway, but I have done it in a pinch). Second, no more Greasemonkey. Weewar Stats and other useful scripts have been a boon to players, and to lose them would be a shame.

Sorry this couldn’t be a more positive post, but that’s where I am with this. I hope some of the issues can be addressed so the user has as streamlined and intuitive an experience as possible.

• Mark
        Posted January 11, 2010 at 22:56 | Permalink

Sorry, the above should have been its own comment, not a reply!

17. NationInArms
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 01:52 | Permalink

This really remind me of advance wars…….also, is there any way to stop the page from reloading every turn? Wait, I think someone already addressed that….
    But, its great in my opinion, except the little graphics at the bottom for what you can do with a unit are a little small…